Today is the end of our March edition of the blog series “Italian Kitchen – Learn all about gnocchi!”, After the last few weeks klassische Potato gnocchi, colorful variations and which with Fülllung was, I present you today a specialty of the Italian region of Lazio in front, which is now known throughout Italy.
What does this have to do with our subject?
The dish is called “gnocchi alla Romana” so translated “Roman gnocchi”, but if one or the other of you is time in Rome and in the order of this Court, the classic potato gnocchi with a specific sauce or the like expected, he will then be surprised when you see this gnocchi with security or even think that the order to be taken wrong has been.
In this specialty, it is, in fact disks based on durum wheat semolina – Potatoes are not included here – like some sort casserole come into the oven and topped with Parmesan cheese. You can eat this as a main course or as a satisfying side dish.
The preparation is very simple and also for cooking beginners, there should be no problem to cook this dish.
gnocchi alla Romana
Ingredients: (For 2 people)
- 500 ml milk
- 50 g Butter
- a pinch of nutmeg
- ½ TL Salz
- 125 g Hartweizengrieß
- 1 egg yolk
- 70 g of grated Parmesan
- Fat to grease the baking dish
- heat the milk slowly in a saucepan with 20g butter, nutmeg and salt over medium heat.
- Once the milk is simmering, return the oven to lowest setting, add the semolina slowly, stirring constantly with a whisk, so avoid lumps.
After a few minutes, a thicker porridge should be developed. If this is the case, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Well first the yolks and then 50 g grated Parmesan mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Place the still hot mass on a baking paper and shape into a roll with about 7 cm in diameter. This completely wrap in wax paper and place for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Melt in a small saucepan Meanwhile, the remaining butter (30 g) and set aside.
- The oven to 180 ° C (fan) Preheat.
- Then cut the semolina role in 1 cm thick slices and slightly overlapping layer them in the greased baking dish.
- The melted butter over the gnocchi and pour the remaining Parmesan cheese (20 g) Sprinkle.
- The gnocchi in a preheated oven bake for first 15 minutes and then gratinieren golden brown for about 7 minutes with the grill.
For two days, you can keep this dish in the refrigerator. Who would like to contrast prepare it in stock, can the gnocchi before baking simply freezing. However, this you have to note that instead of melted butter this is distributed in flakes on the pieces of dough. In preparing the gnocchi you must then enter from frozen in the preheated oven.
So it was on gnocchi, well, almost. On the last day of the month, that is on 31.3., There will be on this topic here's a little FAQ.
I hope you can take the one or the other and is looking forward to you on the next topic for Italian cuisine, I'll tell you next Sunday. If you wish topics for the coming months have, then let me know!
You all a good Sunday!