While at least we are here in the south of Germany to the lucky ones today because of the “Epiphany” have free, is in Italy a very special day. But unlike us are not only the Magi in focus, but especially for the children playing the “Epiphany” a major role.
In my country, children are not gifted namely by Nicholas on December 6 – these, there are not in Italy – but one waits with eager longing for the night of January 6 and thus on the Befana. According to legend, the Befana is a female demon who appears in the form of an old woman or witch. She wanted to – as well as the Three Kings – but to Bethlehem to the Child Jesus, broke up too late and missed by the star that would lead them there. Since then, she flies in search of the Christ Child with her broom from house to house, where they rewarded the like children with sweets and the bad with “Coal” – symbolic black colored meringue is used – punished. Much like here at Saint Nicolas, the children hang on the evening before a sock on the door, which can be retrieved filled the next day.
In some regions of Italy – mainly in the Northeast – is for this reason the “Pin” baked, with it depending on your taste are different variants thereof. This is a type of cake that is filled with nuts and dried fruits. This tastes both hot as well as cold the next day.
Caliper of the Epiphany
Ingredients: (About 24x30cm for a form)
- 200g hard rolls from the day before
- 500ml Milch
- 200g dried figs
- 50g Nüsse
- 40ml Grappa
- 100g Sultaninen
- 80g Butter
- 2 large apples
- 160g sugar
- 2 eggs
- Wear an orange peel
- Abrasion of a lemon peel
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 50g Pinienkerne
- 150g wheat flour
- 50g corn flour
- 1 Päckchen Backpulver
- Cut the bread from the previous day into small pieces and soak for about 30 minutes in a bowl with the milk. In this case, the whole from time to time Mix with a spoon.
- In the meantime, the dried figs cut into small pieces, chop the nuts coarsely and set the raisins in the grappa.
- Allow the butter in a saucepan melt and set aside.
- Peel, cut, and then mash the apples.
- Puree the soaked bread finely and mix with the sugar, the eggs and the apple puree with a hand mixer.
- Add abrasion of the orange and lemon peel, vanilla sugar, butter, the two types of flour and baking powder and stir into a homogeneous mass.
- Subsequently, Pine nuts, figs, nuts and soaked sultanas together with a sip of grappa add the dough and fold in with a spatula.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes at 180 ° C (top and bottom).
If you should notice that the Pinza at the top is too dark and the inside is still raw, you can cover the baking dish with a piece of aluminum foil.
The Pinza is nice and juicy and will delight especially lovers of dry fruits. If you like, this can pollinate before serving with additional powdered sugar.
Related to this day – in Italien als “Epiphany” referred – can also be gifted to her today. This time I can hopefully make two people happy. Of all the commentators I will give away the following two restaurant guide:
“The Gourmet Restaurant Guide 2014” and “The Gourmet Guide – Wine stores in Germany”.
What do you have to participate in the lottery?
- Just leave me a comment under this post and tell me on which of the two books you would like to win.
- You should be at least 18 years old, live in Germany and specify a valid e-mail address in the field provided, on which I can reach you. The e-mail address will not be displayed publicly and used by me exclusively for the purpose of notification of winning.
- You can participate to Sunday, 12.01.2014 at 23:59 clock.
- The winner has 1 week's time to report from the time my notice with me by e-mail. If this is not the case, the corresponding book is up for grabs again.
- The decision is of course excluded.
- About Likes on Facebook I would be happy of course, but this is not a requirement for participation.
“The Gourmet Restaurant Guide 2014” geht an Juliane
“The Gourmet Guide – Wine stores in Germany” Kukae
Congratulations you two!